Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You've Got to Be Kidding Me

My 4 1/2 year old came home the other day singing lyrics to a Hannah Montana song. She's never even seen the tweeny bopper on TV...only heard about her at pre-school. So who are the parents who are letting their little girls watch this stuff? And please don't tell me she's a positive role model for young girls...that idea was busted a long time ago.
So now I have another opportunity to talk to my own daughter about what some of those words mean, what life and self-confidence is really about, and what to think about before you repeat anything. And yes we've thrown in the age-old, 'just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean you do' adage.
I was hoping to stave off critical thinking about song lyrics for a few more years...shouldn't she at least be able to read before we do these kind of exercises? Well too late. I printed some lyrics and we read them. Then I asked questions about what she really thought about those statements. She actually had no real idea. I asked if she wanted my opinion...she did (I know that won't last long!). I offered my take on some of the self-centered, party all the time lyrics that actually set girls up to make poor decisions. This was eye-opening since we've really been working on making good decisions. Do I really care if she listens to the music...not really, but I do care about the messages she's getting from the songs, the images and all the hype. Like many moms, I'm really not so impressed with much of what Disney has a hand in.

No comments: