Monday, November 24, 2008

Norwegian Delight

Most Scandinavians and especially those of us that are of Norwegian descent have long known the secret of lefse. And one of my favorite wedding gifts was a lefse grill, pastry board/cloth, and turning stick. My husband is now well skilled at cooking the thin dough to perfection on the grill and I've so enjoyed rolling the dough like so many of my ancestors on both sides of the family. Lefse is made from potatoes - peeled, boiled, and riced. Flour, cream or milk, butter, sugar and salt combine with the riced potatoes to make a dough that is rolled thin with a special rolling pin. People eat lefse many different ways, but we like it best with plain old butter and sugar (brown or white).

Now, with my own children it's even more delightful to carry on this tradition and let them help, eat and enjoy as I did when I was a little girl. No TV's, no video games, no internet, no cell phones...just working together as a family to make lefse and listen to Christmas music. Bliss!

There is a very sacred feeling present when you can connect as a family around a tradition...especially one that connects you to your ancestors, culture, or foods of the past.
What traditions are sacred for you and help you connect to the past and present especially during this holiday time?

No comments: