Thursday, September 25, 2008

Compassion and Mercy: Spiritual Gifts


Most every mother and father has cared for her sick child or children at one time or another. Middle of the night fevers, upset tummies, coughs and sniffles are the common colds and flu that make their rounds through families.
And most parents take several personal days off from work each year to stay home with their kids when sick. For some it seems like a burden and just makes one feel more 'behind at work.' For others it is an opportunity to show a different kind of caring and love. So this week, while I'm home with my two sick children, I'm reminded what a blessing it is to show them a special kind of compassion and love...one that helps them rest, heal, and recover. Extra love and kindness helps the medicine go down (even if the song says sugar). (Even as I type, both kids are in my bed and we're watching cartoons while taking our medicine...this is a treat since we never get to do this!) I remember how attentive and caring my own mother was when I was sick. And even now when she hears me sniffle over the phone I can feel her love when she says, "I wish I was there to take care of you."
Some might think there is nothing spiritual about wiping runny noses or cooling fevers. Yet, caring for the sick is one of the things Jesus commands his disciples to do. While the Holy Spirit gives us power to heal, there is also great healing in compassionate and merciful presence with those who are ill. Staying home with our children when they are sick and being a compassionate parent who serves up extra love with the applesauce or toast is a gift of the Spirit and a gift to our children.
My prayer today is two fold: I thank God that my children have simple colds that I am able to care for, but I am mindful of the many children and parents around the world who battle serious and life-threatening diseases. My husband and I are blessed with the kind of jobs that allow us to work from home when needed, and to take the time to be home with our children. But I'm well aware that this is a luxury for so many people who cannot take time from work for fear of being fired.
This fall as you care for those who are sick (it's bound to happen at some point) may you be blessed by showing compassion and mercy.

No comments: